Dear World Debating Community,
We would like to announce that we are officially opening the application process for the Deputy Chief Adjudicator posts for the DLSU World Universities Debate Championships 2011-2012 hosted by De La Salle University-Manila, Philippines. Deputy Chief Adjudicators are key parts of the adjudication team, and contribute to the effort of running the debating side of the tournament. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to, motion selection, ranking of adjudicators and communicating with tournament participants and officials. One DCA will be selected from each of the following regions: the Americas, Asia, Europe, Middle East & Africa, and Oceania, based on the region in which applicants do (or most recently did) the bulk of their debating and adjudication. In addition, one or more of the DCAs selected will themselves be currently eligible for the ESL or EFL language categories of the tournament, or have extensive experience speaking in one or both of those categories at debating tournaments.
DCAs should be able to:
- Commit to being at the tournament, and to being available shortly before its formal start date for on-the-ground preparation
- Select and critique motions for debate at the tournament
- Rank judges effectively
- Provide insight into the debating community they are from, and particularly into its adjudicators, both established and less well-known
- Work to ensure that all participants experience an exciting, stimulating, fair and enjoyable tournament, regardless of demographic groups, langauge categories etc they may be part of, or personal circumstances which might obtain
- Combine honesty and diplomacy while acting as the 'faces of the tournament'
- Conduct themselves in a manner conducive to a professional, good-natured tournament
Send your application documents (CV and application form) to both firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com, by 1200 GMT on Friday the 3rd of December 2010. If you are unable to access the form via this website www.dlsuworlds.com, please email either Sam or Lucinda for a form. If, for whatever reason, this timescale presents you with problems, please get in touch. Following this, the process will be as follows:
- By 1200 GMT, Friday the 3rd of December 2010, all applications must have been received.
- Monday the 6th of December 2010, feedback process opens; feedback invited on all applicants.
- 1200 GMT, Friday the 17th of December 2010, feedback process closes; any feedback must have been received by this point to be taken into consideration.
- In the subsequent weeks, candidates will be contacted. DCAs to be publically announced at or before WUDC 2011.
We look forward to receiving your applications. Please do not hesitate to email us if you have any further questions.
Sam Block and Lucinda David
DLSU Worlds 2012