This Blog has now moved to idebate.org/worlddebating - all future posts will be made there!
17 August 2009
Pan- African Universities Debating Championship 2009
The much talked about and eagerly anticipated Pan- African Universities Debating Championship is back for its second season. The (PAUDC) Organizing Committee is once again very proud to organize the second annual Pan- African Universities Debating Championships to be held in Botswana, Gaborone from December 12th to 18th 2009. The inaugural tournament was won by the University of the Free State from South Africa, in a final that also comprised Namibia and Lesotho. The next PAUDC host will either be Namibia or Nigeria, this will be decided by the PAUDC board meeting in Gaborone.
Registration opens on August 15th 2009 and will take place until November 20th 2009. Early registration which runs for 2 months from August 15th to October 15th is set at P650 per person (around 90 USD, R680, 65 POUNDS, 70 EURO). The registration form and due registration fees should have been sent before the deadline to qualify for early registration.
Late registration runs for 1 month from October 20th to November 20th and is set at P800 (around 110 USD, R830, 80 POUNDS, 85 EURO). Both the registration forms and due fees should have been received before the closing date to qualify for late registration.
Registration Fees for institutions must be deposited in the below account:
UNIVERSITY OF BOTSWANA- DEBATE MASTERS ASSOCIATION
ACCOUNT NO: 0020025780131
BANK CODE: 800267
BRANCH CODE: 80-02-67
SWIFT CODE: CAPLBWGAXXX
Proof of registration should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The tournament will
• be held in World Universities style also known as BP at the University of Botswana main campus in Gaborone
• will have a team cap of 4 teams per university with strict compliance with the N-1 rule
• Each African country can only enter up to seven universities
• be from the 12th to the 18th of December 2009
• cost P650 per person for early registration (about 90 USD) - this is inclusive of accommodation for 7 days, meals, events (Opening and Break night parties, Cultural Expo night, Championship dinner AND a visit to the Mokolodi nature reserve to experience Africa's Big 5!)
• include a speaker and coach training workshop for 2 days and adjudication tests
• bring together universities from 15 African Countries and interested universities from around the world The countries expected to attend are From West Africa are Nigeria, Ghana and Liberia, from east Africa Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania from Southern Africa Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Zambia, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, South Africa and Swaziland.
• Six rounds of debating with a break to octo- finals, quarterfinals, semifinals and grand finals
• feature a board meeting with representatives from all African debate institutions, to build a cooperative framework to promote debate and to vote for the next PAUDC host between Namibia and Nigeria
• would feature 40 Botswana secondary schools and 10 invited schools across Africa and the world who will be having their own parallel tournament
• comprise debate trainers and adjudicators from the United States of America, United Kingdom, South Korea and Malaysia
We are very grateful for the support of The Youth Initiative and the African Regional Office of the Open Society Institute who sponsored the inaugural championship last year, our organizing partners, the University of Botswana, Books Botswana and Phakalane Golf resort and all the others who have supported us in the past and continue to give us strength.
For more information, visit our website at http://www.botsdebating.com/, or email us at the addresses below.
Convenor, Justice Motlhabani - firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Convenor & Registration, Graham Sowa - email@example.com
Chief Adjudicator, Logan - firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to seeing you in Botswana this December! :) If you have any questions feel free to email us back at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Justice Motlhabani on behalf of PAUDC Organizing Committee