It gives us great pleasure to announce that we are now acceptingapplications for the Deputy Chief Adjudicator (DCA) positions of the Asian Unity Tournament (AUT). As stated in an earlier email, there will be 4 Deputy Chief Adjudicator positions for the AUT comprising 1representative from South Asia, 1 from North East Asia and 2 fromSoutheast Asia. In line with the unitary aspect of the tournament, wewill also ensure that there is adequate representation from both Asiantournaments. We also believe it is important for the adjudication coreto represent gender diversity and include candidates with experienceas well as candidates with potential.
Applications for the above commence today, the 8th of December, andwill close in a fortnight on the 22nd of December. Thereafterapplicants will be displayed on Asian debating mailing lists for thesolicitation of feedback from the debate community till January 10th2009. After giving due consideration to all applicants and takinginto account all feedback, we will announce the adjudication core onthe 19th of January.
We are looking for the following in our applicants:
* A commitment to quality adjudication at the AUT as well as developing and/or maintaining the same for the regions they represent.
* Achievements in debating and/or adjudication in the Asian-formatand/or any other format.
* The ability to provide a conduit for information (on debaters,adjudicators, etc.) from the region they represent to the AUTadjudication core and vice-versa.
We would like to encourage anyone whom believes they are qualified toapply, and put as much detail as possible into your applications. Toapply, please fill in the application form at this address:http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p5g1B2gH6WnX6iNLY269ddg&hl=en
Deputy Chief Adjudicators for the AUT will get the following:
* Registration fees will be waived
* A return-ticket to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from their country ofresidence in April next year
* A special edition AUT DCA T-Shirt ;-)
With regards to my own qualifications, they are as follows:
Asians-Format (Adjudication Experience):
* UT MARA Friendly 2008, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Shah Alam(Deputy Chief Adjudicator)
* MMU Intervarsity 2008, Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur(Chief Adjudicator)
* SMU Hammers 2008, Singapore Management University, Singapore(Grand Finals Adjudicator)
* AUDC 2008, International Islamic University Malaysia, KualaLumpur (Grand Finals adjudicator, sponsored adjudicator)
Asians-Format (Debate Experience):
* All-Asians 2003, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai (Grand-finalist)
* All-Asians 2004, Assumption University, Bangkok (Quarter-finalist)
* All-Asians 2005, Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur (Champion,Grand Finals Best Speaker, 2nd Best Speaker Overall)
Other formats (Adjudication Experience):
* Worlds 2005, Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur (Octo-finals Adjudicator)
* National Debating Championship 2007, Philippines MilitaryAcademy, Baguio (Grand Finals Adjudicator)
* Singapore Debate Open 2007, National University of Singapore,Singapore (Grand Finals Adjudicator)
* Worlds 2008, Assumption University, Bangkok (Grand Finals Adjudicator)
* Australs 2008, Ateneo de Manila University, Manila (Grand FinalsAdjudicator, Deputy Chief Adjudicator and co-author of the tab)
Other formats (Debate Experience):
* Malaysia National Varsity Debate 2001 (Grand-finalist)
* Malaysia National Varsity Debate 2002 (Grand-finalist)
* Worlds 2003, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch (Octo-finalist)
* Australs 2003, Multimedia University, Kuala Lumpur (Quarter-finalist)
* Australs 2004, University Technology Sydney, Sydney (Grand-finalist)
* Australs 2005, University of Queensland, Brisbane(Semi-finalist, 3rd Best Speaker Overall)
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. We arelooking forward to hearing from all of you.
Suthen "Tate" Thomas
Asian Unity Tournament
Voices MMU Debate Society