Dear KHSDC IV Participants and Friends:
I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this year's tournament for helping make it a success. Debaters, your skill and passion for debate were a pleasure to watch. Judges, your time and effort guaranteed that we had a tournament that was both fair and educational for all participants. Volunteers, you provided both the hard labor and the coordination necessary to make the tournament run. Before going on to list the tournament results, I¡¯d also like to thank HAFS for hosting the tournament, and especially thank the two convenors, Ian Yovdoshuk and Kim Min Kyoung. Special thanks goes to my DCAs Hyung Gyu, Logan, and Sophie, and the tab directors, Jason and Jong Min. And, finally, parents, coaches, and liaisons, thank you for supporting your debaters. It was an honor to work with you all.
Peter Kipp (Chief Adjudicator)
Now, here are the tournament results and motions:
Main Break (out of 50 teams entered):
1. HAFS D (Kahyun Park, Yaeseul Park, Inni Youh)
2. KMLA A (Yeon Hwa Lee, Jewon Jung, Hyun Kyu Kim)
3. KMLA C (Wonho Choi, Hong Kim, Hyun Woo Yoon)
4. SIS B (Stephanie Char, Janice Yoon, Seungho Yang)
5. SIS A (Karen Kim, Rachel Choi, Christine Boyun Choi)
6. HAFS A (Naryeung Whang, Seunghee Kang, Lee-Hyun Kim)
7. HAFS B (Min Jae Yoo, Jung Hwan Yang, Moonyeol Lee)
8. Daewon B (You Jin Song, Jong Min Lee, Hong Keun Jeon)
9. Ewha A (Jeong Eun Lee, Min Jung Sohn, Seunghee Seo)
10. KMLA B (Kyu Young Oh, Chan Lee, Jimin Kang)
11. Daeil A (Jeong Won Son, Jun Bin Yun, Seung Joon Park)
12. Daewon A (Edward Kim, Kyong-Don Kim, Do Hyeong Kwon)
13. HAFS F (Jung Hyuk Yim, Sang Won Lee, Joon Hun Seong)
14. Daewon D (Dianne Miyun Kim, Heewon Choi, Gi Jae Han)
15. Daewon E (Seungmin Jung, Young Joe Hur, Henry Nahm)
16. Daewon C (Hyun Ji Lee, Maeng Ji Youn, Minjoo Kim)
HAFS D (1) def. Daewon C (16)
Daewon B (8) def. Ewha A (9)
HAFS F (13) def. SIS B (4)
Daewon A (12) def. SIS A(5)
KMLA A (2) def. Daewon E (15)
HAFS B (7) def. KMLA B (10)
KMLA C (3) def. Daewon D (14)
HAFS A (6) def. Daeil A (11)
Daewon B (8) def. HAFS D (1)
HAFS F (13) def. Daewon A (12)
HAFS B (7) def. KMLA A (2)
KMLA C (3) def. HAFS A (6)
Daewon B def. HAFS F
HAFS B def. KMLA C
HAFS B def. Daewon B
(Final Round Adjudicators: Jiseon Sophie Lee (chair), Logan Balavijendran, Wayne Baumgardner, Ah Young Kim, Hanna Ko, Hwang Hye Sook, Darren J. Daley)
1. Ewha C (Youkyoung Han, Hye Rin Park, Ji Yoon Park) (tab ranking 19)
2. Daeil C (Bo Kyung Kim, Seong Jae Soh, Joo Hong Lee) (tab ranking 20)
3. Daewon F (Sang Suk Kang, Tae Yong Ahn, Sung Ryul Park) (tab ranking 21)
4. CSIA C (Hyewon Chun, Jae Chang Kim, Kyung Jin Lew) (tab ranking 29)
Daewon F def. Ewha C(Final Round Adjudicators: Ji Hoon Lee (Chair), Yoo Ji Eun, Carlton L. Johnson, Darren J. Daley, Changhee Han)
(criteria, in order: H/L = speaker points with highest & lowest scores removed, PTS = total speaker points, OppWn = total number ofdebates won by teams this team faced)
1. Jung Hwan Yang (HAFS B) H/L 294; PTS 439; OppWn 22
2. Min Jae Yoo (HAFS B) H/L 293; PTS 439; OppWn 22
3. Moonyeol Lee (HAFS B) H/L 293; PTS 438; OppWn 22
4. Eun Sung Yang (KMLA D) H/L 292; PTS 436; OppWn 24
5. Yaeseul Park (HAFS D) H/L 292; PTS 436; OppWn 23
6. Minjoo Kim (Daewon C) H/L 292; PTS 430; OppWn 15
7. Kahyun Park (HAFS D) H/L 291; PTS 439; OppWn 23
8. Hyun Kyu Kim (KMLA A) H/L 291; PTS 436; OppWn 21
9. Yeon Hwa Lee (KMLA A) H/L 220; PTS 436; OppWn 21
10. Kristin A. Kim (SIS C) H/L 289.66; PTS 434.66; OppWn 20
11. You Jin Song (Daewon B) H/L 289.66; PTS 434.32; OppWn 19
12. Jewon Jung (KMLA A) H/L 289; PTS 433; OppWn 21
13. JIMIN KANG (KMLA B) H/L 289; PTS 432.33; OppWn 18
14. Jong Min Lee (Daewon B) H/L 289; PTS 432; OppWn 19
15. Suzie Noh Ewha B) H/L 288.66; PTS 428.66; OppWn 16
16. Janice Yoon (SIS B) H/L 288.5; PTS 432.83; OppWn 24
17. Stephanie Char (SIS B) H/L 288.5; PTS 432.5; OppWn 24
18. Tae Yong Ahn (Daewon F) H/L 288.33; PTS 434.33; OppWn 19
19. Hyun Woo Yoon KMLA C) H/L 288.16; PTS 432.16; OppWn 19
20. Inni Youh (HAFS D) H/L 288; PTS 432; OppWn 19
Yoo Ji Eun (Hanyang University/HAFS)
Logan Balavijendran (Chung Ang University/DCA)
Wayne Baumgardner (KMLA)
Peter Kipp (Debate Association of Ewha, Ewha University/CA)
Changhee Han (KMLA)
Jiseon Sophie Lee (Debate Association of Ewha, Ewha University/DCA)
Cho Hyung Gyu (Hanyang University/DCA)
Stephen Gabb (CSIA)
Carlton L. Johnson (CSIA)
Hye Won Roh (Korea University/Daeil)
Lee Ji Hoon (Hanyang University/Gimpo)
Jisoo Shin (Kyunghee University/Ewha)
Dami Park (Debate Association of Ewha, Ewha University/SIS)
Ah Young Kim (Ewha Debate Society, Ewha University/Goyang)
Hwang Hye Sook (Ewha Debate Society, Ewha University/Myungduk)
Seo Yun Yoo (KMLA)
Heejin An (Ewha Debate Society, Ewha University/Daewon)
Ian Andrew Baddon (Bundang)
Gim Gi Yoon (KMLA)
Julie Hong (Goyang)
Eunsong Eileen Kim (Korea University/Daeil)
Hanna Ko (Ewha Debate Society, Ewha University/Goyang)
Kim Mi Kyong (Kyunghee University, Suwon/Busan)
Kyuyun Lim (Debate Association of Ewha, Ewha University/HAFS)
Hwang Gu-Hyun (Hanyang University/HAFS)
Chiseul Kim (Ewha Debate Society, Ewha University/Ewha)
Kim Jeong Won (Daewon)
Peter Bae (Daewon)
Darren J. Daley (Gimhae)
Il Kyu Han (CSIA)
Volunteer Adjudicators:Ahn Jae Rin, Cho Hee Youn, Hong-Chan Choi, Chung Hee Kyun, Hwang Gu-Hyun, Hwang Hye Sook Sungkwan Jeong, Ah-Young Kim, Kim Damin, Eunsong Eileen Kim, Gina Kim, Kim Hyun Jin, Kim Ki Hwan, Kim Mi Kyong, Hanna Ko, Lee Ji Hoon, Ji-soo Lee, Lee Won Mo, Kyuyun Lim, Park Kyung Eun, Mikyoung Park, Hyewon Rho, Jisoo Shin, Shendy Ho Su Yi, Ji Eun Yoo,
Motions:Round 1: Education
THB Korean universities should have the right to select their students based on their own standards.
THW require high school students take classes in fine art and music.
THB single sex schools are more effective than coeducational schools.
Round 2: THB that governments should exclusively use open source software for all administrative tasks.
Round 3: Sports
THB all professional sporting leagues should have wage caps for their athletes.
THW allow the use of performance enhancing drugs in sports.
THW require all nations participating in the Olympics to include female athletes in their delegations.
Round 4: Pop Culture and Media
THW censor obscene lyrics in music.
THB politicians should not be allowed to own media companies.
THB the Academy Awards do more harm than good.
Round 5: THB developing nations should nationalize their energy resources.
Round 6: Economics
THW abolish the inheritance tax.
THW abandon regional trading blocs for global, multilateral trade.
THB China's position as the world's factory does more harm than good.
Octofinals: Law and Order
THW have juries participate in all criminal trials.
THW post information about pedophiles on the Internet.
THB all white collar criminals should serve mandatory jail time.
Quarter Finals & Rookie Semi Finals: Massive Engineering Projects
THW join the race to build the world's tallest building.
THW outlaw the reclamation of coastal wetland areas for development.
THB deep space exploration is a waste of resources.
Semifinals: International Relations
THS the partitioning of countries plagued by ethnic violence.
THB the United Nations should have a standing army.
THW make Jerusalem a UN protectorate.
Grand Final: THB minority communities brought over during past colonial rule have a right to reparations.