Therefore the basic elements are:
- A motion that is debatable and challenging but suitable for the level of experience of the debaters.
- Two sides (Government/Proposition and Opposition)
- There should be at least 3 people on each side.
- This can be made up of one team or multiple teams/individuals on each side.
- A chairperson to introduce the speakers and control the debate
- Layout the room so that the proposition are to the right of the podium and the opposition are to the left.
- The "podium" can either be in the middle between both teams (most common) or there can be one on either side.
- The Adjudicators should sit together in the middle facing the podium.