5th annual HWS / IDEA Round Robin champion:
Stanford University (Alex Campbell & Anish Mitra)
Second place: Oxford University (Bell & Woolgar)
Finalists: Hart House (Goswami & Penner) & MIT (Goldstein & McKee)
* The team from the University of the Witwatersrand missed making the finals on a tie-breaker and so deserves special mention.
Best speaker: Ben Woolgar (Oxford)
Second speaker: Stephanie Bell (Oxford)
Third speaker: Alex Campbell (Stanford)
Fourth speaker: Joe Roussos (Witwatersrand)
Fifth speaker: Anish Mitra (Stanford)
Sixth speaker: Adam Goldstein (MIT)
Seventh speaker: David Maher (New South Wales)
Eigth speaker: Veenu Goswami (Hart House)
Ninth speaker: Angela Kintominas (New South Wales)
Tenth speaker: Steve Penner (Hart House)
Stephen Boyle from Ireland (now coaching at UVM) won the Honored Adjudicator award.
Motions for 2011:
1) This house would eliminate tenure for university professors.
2) This house believes that S&M contracts are unconscionable.
3) This house would give preference to immigration applicants whose values are consistent with those of the host nation.
4) This house supports parents who secretly install spyware on their children’s electronic devices.
5) This house would not use public money on life-extending medical care for people over a certain age.
Finals: This house believes that whenever individuals have a choice between spending their money on luxuries or donating it to ameliorating suffering, morality demands donating.