The Yale Debate Association invites you to participate in the third annual Yale Inter-Varsity Parliamentary Tournament, to take place at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut on Friday, October 23 and Saturday, October 24.
The tournament will consist of five preliminary rounds (the first four of which will have open adjudication), followed by a varsity quarters break* and a novice** final round. All rounds will be debated in the British Parliamentary style, and we plan to strictly enforce Worlds-standard seven minute speaking times. We promise high quality judging with useful feedback in the open adjudication rounds. This will be an excellent opportunity for teams to prepare for Worlds. This year, we are also proud to announce that all semifinalists at the Yale IV will automatically qualify for APDA’s 2010 National Championships (although competitors will not earn -OTY points). Visit http://www.yaledebate.org/iv for further details.
We are pleased to announce that Josh Bone will be our Chief Adjudicator. Kate Falkenstien and Carmen Lu will serve as Co-Conveners.
Past adjudicators at the Yale IV have included:
• David Denton, Worlds Finalist, Dublin Worlds 2006
• Josh Bone, 2nd Speaker, Assumption Worlds 2008
• Adam Chilton, top speaker, Oxford and Cambridge IVs 2007
• Can Okar, Chief Adjudicator, Koc Worlds 2010
• Anna Garsia, World Champion, Vancouver Worlds 2007
• Rory Gillis, Deputy Chief Adjudicator, Cork Worlds 2009
• Eoin Kilkenny, Deputy Director of Registration & Communications, Cork Worlds 2009
• Kylie Lane, Deputy Chief Adjudicator, Assumption Worlds 2008
• Uve Poom, Deputy Chief Adjudicator, Newcastle Euros 2009
• Derek Lande, Chief Adjudicator, Cork Worlds 2009
• Daniel McCarthy, Assistant Chief Adjudicator, Cork Worlds 2009
• Jo Read, Chief Adjudicator, Cambridge IV
We are also pleased to announce that the tab for the 2009 Yale IV will be run by the 2010 Koc World Universities Debating Championships tab staff.
Registration for the Yale IV 2009 will take place online. To register, fill in the form at http://www.yaledebate.org/iv/reg.html. Note also that we impose an n-2 judging requirement on US schools. Teams which fail to meet this requirement will face a $50 penalty fee. The deadline for registration is midnight, Tuesday, 20 October 2009.
Registration will be $125/team for US schools, $100/team for US schools which have not previously attended the Yale IV, and $90/team for international schools. There is a pay to play policy for this tournament. All checks should be made out to the Yale Debate Association.
As the tournament approaches, should you have any pressing questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Kate or Carmen via email or cell phone. Our numbers are:
General Enquiries: email@example.com
Kate Falkenstien: firstname.lastname@example.org (785) 218 2624
Carmen Lu: email@example.com (203) 809 5355
* If registration is under 80 teams, we will break straight to semifinals.
** "Novice" will be defined as any debater in their first year of college debate, regardless of style.