Update on WUPID 2008 from MLYSN
The website will be up by May - guaranteed, as my website designer is getting married on the 31st, hence he needs to get his job done before his long long break. However, you would still be able to get the latest news regarding the event’s progress from MLYSN starting from today. So here are some updates:
(1) CIMB Group has once again agreed to become our title sponsor. We are looking for other additional sponsors, so if any of you have any ideas and contacts, I am more than happy to listen to them.
(2) This year, the event would have a media partner - The Star, a local English newspaper. We are currently in talks with Astro (satelite TV) but they required us to get some international BIG name before they decide to come in and give hell loads of coverage. We were all thinking of contacting Angelina Jolie, but she’s kinda pregnant with twins and expecting at the end of this year. So now, we’re thinking of Zinedine Zidane or Roger Federer. Any other ideas?
(3) The official hotel is Impiana KLCC Hotel and Spa. If you love last years hotel, you’ll cry to this one … it’s heaven! It’s situated just across the street to KL Convention Centre (venue of the finals). Click here to check it out. Plus, they have internet access in all the rooms!
(4) The chief adjudicator is still definitely be Dr. Omar Sallahudin Abdullah. DCAs are Fiona Prowse and Neill Harvey Smith. We’re looking for two more DCAs. One will be announced soon while another one will be announced after the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships 2008 @ Ateneo De Manila. We’ve also a dedicated tab director’s post which would be filled in by Colm Flynn.
(5) Venue for the opening/championship dinner and break night party has not been decided yet. But we assure you, that it’ll blow your underwear clean till next week.
Keep reading this blog for more daily updates (I hope) on the behind the scenes of CIMB Group World Universities Peace Invitational Debate (CIMB WUPID) 2008.