e-mail from World Schools 2006 in Wales.
I am pleased to announce that the prepared motions for the 2006 World Schools Debating Championships are as follows:
PRELIMINARY ROUND PREPARED MOTIONS
- This House supports the international trading of pollution quotas
- This House believes that captured terrorists should be treated as prisoners of war
- This House believes that Internet search engines should boycott China until it allows its citizens unrestricted access to the Web
- This House would place a worldwide ban on the use of civil nuclear energy
GRAND FINAL MOTION
- This House believes that democracy is the best system of government for every nation
All teams should prepare to debate both Proposition and Opposition sides of each motion, as we will not be allocating sides until nearer the beginning of the tournament. As Convenor, I'd like to thank Ian, Karin, Chris, Mehvesh, Mark, James and Dave for all their work on the Motions Selection Committee.
I'm also delighted to confirm that LexisNexis Butterworths will be our Research Partners for this year's World Championships. They are providing free access to their comprehensive business and news information service for all competing teams until 15 July. We hope you will agree that this is an invaluable resource for debaters when researching the prepared motions. We will be notifying all Team Managers of the specific details for LexisNexis access within the next 24 hours.
Good luck in your preparations, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Our fourth Newsletter will be released soon, and that will contain more information about the tournament in general.
Convenor, 2006 World Championships
Welsh Centre for International Affairs
Temple of Peace, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3AP, Wales
Tel +44 (0) 29 2022 8549 / Fax +44 (0) 29 2064 0333