World Debating News
2 September 2010
- If you are on the wait list and are planning to attend Worlds - you have 1 week to inform us (until the 9th of September 10 GMT). If we do not hear from you by then, we will assume you have pulled out and will give your spot to someone else. If you pay us without first informing us you are planning to attend, we might give away your place and cannot guarantee we will have a place for you. We also cannot guarantee we can refund money you paid for a spot you did not first claim. If you not planning to attend, please do the responsible thing and inform us so we can give your spot to someone else.
- If you are planning to attend Worlds and want to send more teams - inform us and we will make a note of that. In a month or once we get to the end of this list, we will give out more spaces to interested institutions.
- After informing us of your intention to attend, please initiate payment. You have until the 14th of September (10 GMT) to send us the money. Immediately after making payment, please send us your proof of payment. When you submit your proof of payment you need to do two things.
- Email the proof, with your institution name, to email@example.com
- Upload the scanned copy to your registration payment page. If you don't identify your institution on your payment we won't be able to track it and it will cause delays. If we do not receive at least your proof of payment by the 14th of September you will be dropped and another institution will be offered your spot. It's your responsibility to ensure you have sent us your payment, not ours to keep checking with you.
- Payment instructions: Go to this link to see our bank details. This is the only way to get the money to us. http://botswanaworlds.com/node/35
1 September 2010
With registration opening soon (September 1), we thought it would be pertinent to send out the final registration details.
Here is how registration will take place for the 2010 HHIV:
STEP 1: Beginning on September 1, all schools are eligible to register up to 6 teams by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
School Name, number of teams, number of judges, billeting requirements, and payment type (cheque or credit card)
-Teams who must travel a significant and unusual distance (ie. those outside of North America, or similarly onerous distances) can request that their registration be waived. We will consider these requests on a case-by-case basis. Please indicate your request in your registration email.
-Credit card is our preferred form of payment, and due to policy constraints, is unfortunately the only form of payment that we can accept from American and other international participants.
STEP 2: You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of emailing. If you don't, please try contacting us again, just to make sure we have all of your information.
STEP 3: If paying by cheque, please make your cheques payable to the Hart House Debates Committee and put HHIV 2010 in the subject line. Cheques can be sent to:
Hart House Debates Committee
7 Hart House Circle
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H3
For credit card payments, we have switched to an online system and you will be contacted by Hart House within one week with password information for our secure online system.
Once again, the cost for the HHIV will be $150 per team and $70 per judge.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We are also now making 100% of the payment due by October 8. If payment is not received by this date, all registered teams will be dropped and we will turn to the waiting list.
UPDATE ON HOTEL & ACCOMODATIONS
The Bloor-Yorkville Holiday Inn has set aside 20 rooms with two beds for October 15 and 16 $129.99 per room based on two adults in the room (a extra person charges are $10 each up to a maximum of four persons in a room).
The booking code for the group is HHD and the name is Hart House Debate Committee. Guests may choose to make reservations online at www.holidayinn.com/torontomidtown or directly with hotel reservations at 416-968-0010 or via email at email@example.com .
You have until September 20, 2010 to make a reservation; we cannot guarantee that guests who choose to make a reservation after this date will have the same rate or room options.
Note: For those who wish to billet, billeting is allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. International teams are given guaranteed billeting.
Our adjudication team, led by our Chief Adjudicator Richard Lizius (DCA Botswana WUDC 2010, Koç 2nd speaker), will be releasing a style guide in the coming weeks consistent with previous HHIV judging standards. Once again, the format is standard BP.
HHIV is known for its exceptionally deep judging pool. We won’t list every extreme overqualified, internationally renowned adjudicator that we’ve had in the past, because that list would go on for far too long. Suffice to say that our finals panel last year included 3 past World Champions and a Worlds Top Speaker (not to mention the winners of some of the world’s other most prestigious IVs and regional events).
To see the original invitation, you can check the thread on CUSIDnet:
Take care and please feel free to contact us with any questions.
All the best,
Jake Brockman and Sam Greene
Tournament Directors, HHIV 2010
31 August 2010
Winners: Victoria University of Wellington Two (Asher Emanuel, Richard D'Ath, Nick Cross)
Runners-Up: Victoria University of Wellington One (Jenna Raeburn, Udayan Mukherjee, Paul Smith)
President's Cup for Best Speaker: Richard D'Ath
NZU Prepared Debating Team: Richard D'Ath, Udayan Mukherjee, Aria Newfield (University of Auckland Two)
Russell McVeagh Cup for Most Promising Speaker: Tom O'Brien (University of Canterbury)
Centennial Cup for Best Adjudicator: Will Chisholm (University of Otago)
Bledisloe Award for Oratory: Simon Connell (University of Otago)
29 August 2010
Botswana Worlds 2011 Update : Payment Status Update : Dropping teams who have not paid, Waitlist to Open
Dear Worlds Participants and Aspiring Worlds Participants:
Here is the list for all verified deposit and final payments we have to date. You should check your online account for more detailed information. Now, after looking at this list you might have one little question: "WHERE IS MY MONEY!!!" This is a good question, and one that has two potential answers with easy solutions:
If you are missing 5 USD – 25 USD from your payment this is because the bank charged the transfer fee to our account. We need you to pay this deficit with your final payment. If you have already paid your final payment please wait to pay by cash or check upon physical registration in Botswana (no need to send a wire transfer for 20 bucks).
If you are missing a lot more money than that it is probably because we have your payment proof but have not been able to match it up with your University because of lack of identifying information in the sender details. No problem. Just email/forward your proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org right away and you will be all fixed up in under 24 hours. You could also just email us the tracking number and amount and senders name if that is easier and we can match it this side.
I tried contacting all of you through the email addresses you registered with but some of those accounts are no longer in service. So if this is the first time you are hearing about this I'm sorry, but we really did try to email everyone a few times each in the past days. If you would like to update your email address please feel to do so. If you need to write me an angry email you are also free to do that, just keep it short. But please check your online account before emailing me – we've written comments where appropriate and you might find the answer there.
Institutions who have not paid deposits and not contacted us will be dropped in 48 hours. 5 days after the deadline to pay in full (2nd of September), teams who have paid deposits but not paid in full will also be dropped. Deposits will not be refunded or transferred between teams/institutions or pooled together to become full payment for a team. Teams on the waiting list should prepare to get ready to pay.
The full list can be viewed at http://www.botswanaworlds.com/paymentstatus